Stroke occurs when the blood circulation to the brain stops, as a result of which brain cells die, resulting in heart stroke. Strokes are of two types; one which is caused due to the blockage of blood and the second one caused due to heavy bleeding in the brain.
A stroke is a devastating situation and surviving it not easy. Those who have had a stroke have to be extra cautious. In order to prevent a stroke, firstly one has to know the factors that can cause a stroke and control them; secondly one has to learn and known about the warning signs.
Signs of a stroke
Warning signs are signals that tell you about the activity of your brain and your heart; they warn you about something being wrong. If you witness the following signs then immediately call for a doctor.
- If you are having trouble in walking or there is dizziness.
- Severe headache is another sign of a stroke.
- Trouble seeing from both the eyes.
- Weakness or numbness of face, leg or arm on one side.
- Trouble in talking, walking; feeling confused.
How to prevent a stroke?
Why to wait for the warning signs when you can easily prevent a stroke, it can be controlled by these ways:
- Lower the blood pressure- The biggest factor responsible for a stroke is high blood pressure, it doubles the risk of getting a stroke if it is not controlled. It is suggested that blood pressure level should be monitored and controlled before it increases. One should try maintaining their blood pressure level to 135/85. For lowering the blood pressure level you should reduce the intake of salt and avoid having high cholesterol foods.
- Try losing weight- Obesity is an important reason for getting a stroke; so if you are overweight it is advisable to lose some so that you are saved from the impact of a stroke.
- Exercising- Exercising regularly helps in losing weight as well as in controlling the blood pressure level to a great extent. One should try and exercise atleast five times a week.
- Do not drink much- Those who are fond of consuming alcohol should do that in limit, as alcohol drinking increases the risk of getting a stroke. Either drink in moderation or do not drink at all.
- Diabetes control- High blood sugar level is another factor that contributes to the risk of getting a stroke; it is advisable to control the blood sugar levels by taking a proper die t and by exercising. Consult a doctor for the same.
- Do not smoke- Smoking is another important reason that is the biggest cause of a heart stroke. Quit smoking, it is not easy but it is something that has to be done.
Stroke can be prevented if one is cautious from the beginning; live a healthy life, control a few habits, exercise well and there will be no sign of stroke ever.